Monday, October 5, 2015

Ponderizing


Although we were doing the funeral all day in Idaho and missed that day of General Conference, it was wonderful to hear all of Sunday's session.  I was so filled to try and be a better person after listening to all these addresses.  3 new apostles ordained!  Wow!  How wonderful!  

I can't wait to ponder each talk but one that stuck out was Elder Devin Durrant- who coined a new word "ponderize."  He challenged to memorize a scripture a week, for a month or year or forever.  He said that 80% of ponderizing was "pondering the meaning of the scripture and thinking about it all week" and the other 20% was memorization.

I am ready to take the challenge...pulling my husband (a little reluctantly) along! lol

This is the scripture I chose after opening my scriptures and choosing something I have underlined in my many readings.  Just pondering ONE DAY about this scripture has already meant something to me!

(I'm putting the previous scripture #1 here also so that #2 makes more sense.)


Romans 12:21 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 (And)... be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.

I loved hearing from President Monson- who was frail yet so strong!  Talk about literally wearing himself out in service to the Lord.  He said, among other things,

… We are surrounded by persuasive voices, beguiling voices, belittling voices, sophisticated voices, and confusing voices. I might add that these are loud voices. I admonish you to turn the volume down and to be influenced instead by that still, small voice which will guide you to safety. Remember that one with authority placed his hands on your head after you were baptized, confirming you a member of the Church and saying, “Receive the Holy Ghost.” Open your hearts, even your very souls, to the sound of that special voice which testifies of truth. … May we ever be in tune, that we might hear this comforting, guiding voice which will keep us safe.  Thomas S. Monson

I think by "ponderizing" scriptures, it will help drown out the beguiling voices of the world.



No comments: