Working on my Primary lesson for the littles. David flew to Guatemala last night with son Ryan so I'm on my own today. (I've got a couple of rowdies so we'll see how that works. Good thing I was a mother of rowdies...) Today we are talking about the importance of prayer. Below are two quotes I love, that I used a few months ago when teaching Gospel Doctrine to the adults. But I can use the idea of trying to say something important while the rest of the kids are being noisy. (oh wait? that's my whole class time! :)
But I am so thankful for prayer in my life. I'm glad even as a child I had conversations with God. I'm so thankful for his words, his voice and his love. Truly my best, most patient friend and exemplar.
Elder Boyd K. Packer:
Inspiration comes more easily in peaceful settings. Such words as quiet, still, peaceable, comforter abound in the scriptures... The world grows increasingly noisy. Clothing and grooming and conduct are looser and sloppier and more disheveled. Raucous music, with obscene lyrics blasted through amplifiers while lights flash psychedelic colors, characterizes the drug culture. Variations of these things are gaining wide acceptance and influence over our youth... This trend to more noise, more excitement, more contention, less restraint, less dignity, less formality is not coincidental nor innocent nor harmless. The first order issued by a commander mounting a military invasion is the jamming of the channels of communication of those he intends to conquer. Irreverence suits the purposes of the adversary by obstructing the delicate channels of revelation in both mind and spirit.
Neal M. Maxwell- Divine guidance is so crucial...that we need to go out of our way to put ourselves in a situation in which such special help can be given. Pres. David O. McKay spoke of how the morning hours, before we are cluttered with the cares of day, are especially conducive to inspiration. Others have felt that solitude and reading the scriptures can create an atmosphere conducive to the Spirit and can be developed. After all, to read the words of Christ already before us is a good thing to do before asking for more."
No comments:
Post a Comment