Thursday, July 26, 2012

Addi


One of the blessings out of the chaos of a broken family was that I as a grandma was lucky to be able to step up to the plate and have regular Addi time.  She wasn't in school when the other kiddos were and she has a working mama that works soooo hard to provide for her family....which meant Addi regularly stayed overnight with us for a year twice a week so I could then have her for the following days.   This past year she has been in kindergarten, which means pick-up at school in the middle of the day (they live across the valley from us so it really isn't close).  Thankfully Brandi has wonderful friends and neighbors who have each taken a day as well.  But I've loved our special Addi time.  We have played "I'm going to the moon" at least 1349 times (I'm going to the moon and I'm taking  Addi, a banana, a cowboy, a donkey, an elephant, Frito's, etc.)  We have sung every song there is to be sung.(You are my sunshine, my only sunshine....)  We have spied out of our little eye, eaten more than I care to say of chicken McNuggets, swam like fishes, painted art projects.  Addi has been my partner at the garden store and when I pick up a flower, she'll say, "let me smell it to see if the deer will like it."  She knows the plants I choose must be stinky. She has helped me deliver neighborhood meals and learned about the families I serve. We have swung on the swings plus she can go across the monkey bars like crazy.  I've caught her eating Creamies from the downstairs grandma (my MIL) at 9 or10 in the morning- since she knows that downstairs grandma is a little clueless about time.  We have watched princess movies and Barbie movies so much that I can quote lines. (our favorite is the "outtakes" after Barbie and the Three Musketeers.)  I love, love, love this girl.  Little Miss Attitude.

Today was her first day of 1st grade.  This is how both she and her mommy feel.  This is a sad day for my heart as well.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww...I remember this feeling when my "baby" went to first grade and he is 26 years old now! I know that you will miss Addi time but the time you do get to spend with her will be that much more special as you know from all your kiddos. I hope you are feeling better and getting stronger each day.

Cindy Thomas

Sandy Weber said...

Aww that is so sweet. I did not know you were and upstairs grandma and you had a downstairs grandma with you. That was one of my favorite books when I was little!!!! I hope little Addi has a fantastic year in first grade!

Amazed said...

Cindy- my baby is 27. Seems like yesterday! the thing that is hard is that I know school changes things. they move on to another life.....

and Sandy, I never even thought about the book but you're right! Only I'm On the Mountain grandma and she's Ice Cream grandma. I should write a book! Addi was excited to tell me last night she already has made 3 new friends! Success!